Board of Health
The Board of Health is the governing body that oversees delivery of Mandatory Programs and Service Guidelines set by the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and Ministry of Children and Youth Services under the Health Protection and Promotion Act legislated by the Government of Ontario. On behalf of the Board of Health, the Medical Officer of Health administers the public health programs and services in agreement with the Mission and Vision of our Health Unit.
Dr. Gary M. Kirk (Medical Officer of Health and CEO), and Dr. Wajid Ahmed (Acting Medical Officer of Health), and our 200 plus employees at the Health Unit continue to work under the financial guidance of the Board of Health. The Board of Health is composed of four representatives from the City of Windsor, four representatives from the County of Essex and Pelee Island, and six provincial representatives.
Members of the Board of Health include:
- Joe Bachetti, County Appointee
- Kenneth Blanchette, Provincial Appointee
- Paul Borrelli, City Appointee
- Mark Carrick, Provincial Appointee
- Eleanor Groh, Provincial Appointee (Vice-chair)
- Bill Marra, City Appointee
- Gary McNamara, County Appointee (Chair)
- Richard Meloche, County Appointee
- Carlin Miller, Provincial Appointee
- Robert Modestino, Provincial Appointee
- Hilary Payne, City Appointee
- Gord Queen, County Appointee
- John Scott, Provincial Appointee
- Ed Sleiman, City Appointee
- Michelle Watters, Provincial Appointee
History of the Board of Health
Established in 1914, the Board of Health for the Essex Border Municipalities promoted and protected the health of 50,000 residents in four municipalities (Ford, Walkerville, Windsor, and Sandwich). Over time, programs and services evolved. Eventually, all remaining municipalities of Essex County joined the Metro Windsor-Essex County Health Unit Board of Health. The name of the agency was changed to Windsor-Essex County Health Unit in 1984.
Board of Health Meetings
Board of Health meetings are generally held on a monthly basis at alternating locations.
View the Board Meeting Agendas and Minutes.