Personal Service Settings E-Learning Course
Main Page Content
Personal services are a growing industry that offer a variety of traditional and new procedures for clients. Whether or not a personal service is invasive (e.g. services that break the surface of the skin), every type of personal service has some infection risk if the right steps aren’t taken to prevent the spread of germs.
Personal service providers who understand infection control practices can help reduce the risk of infections and make sure that services they provide are safe for themselves and their clients.
On this page:
- Who should take this course?
- What topics does this course cover?
- Overview of course modules
- How do I register?
- What will I receive after I complete the training?
- Helpful links
Who should take this course?
This course is recommended for owners/operators and staff of personal service settings. Examples of personal services that this training applies to includes:
- Aesthetics, facials, and make-up application
- Body piercing and body modification
- Ear piercing
- Electrolysis and hair removal
- Hairdressing and barbering
- Manicure and pedicure
- Tattooing and micropigmentation
What topics does this course cover?
The Infection Prevention and Control Course for Personal Service Settings covers the following topics:
- Requirements in O.Reg 136/18: Personal Service Settings
- Role of a public health inspector
- Common infections in personal services
- How to protect yourself and your clients from infection
- Hand hygiene
- Cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization of tools and equipment
- Record keeping
There are also specialized modules for different services.
Overview of Course Modules
Please note that all participants must complete Modules 1-4. Modules 5-10 are optional depending on the services you provide.
- Module 1: General Business Requirements
- Module 2: Common Infections
- Module 3: Protecting Yourself and Your Clients
- Module 4 Part 1: Cleaning and Disinfecting
- Module 4 Part 2: Sterilizing
- Module 5: Hair and Barber
- Module 6: Aesthetics, Facials, and Make-up
- Module 7: Manicure and Pedicure
- Module 8: Ear Piercing
- Module 9: Body Piercing and Body Modification
- Module 10: Tattoo and Micropigmentation
How do I register?
Registering for the course is easy and FREE!
- Visit our e-learning website
- Create a username and password.
- Select the “Personal Service Settings” icon to begin the course.
What will I receive after I complete the training?
You will receive an electronic Certificate of Completion with your name on it that lists all completed modules. You can save or print a copy for your records.
Important notice: This course is only available online and is not offered as an in-person class.
For more information, or if you have a specific question about infection control in personal service settings, please call the Environmental Health Department at 519-258-2146 ext. 4475.
- Ontario Regulation 136/18: Personal Service Settings
- Ontario Agency For Health Protection and Promotion (Public Health Ontario). Guide to infection prevention and control in personal service settings. 3rd ed. 1st revision. Toronto, ON: Queen’s Printer for Ontario, 2019.
- Public Health Ontario, Personal Service Settings