What is a Pandemic?
A pandemic occurs when an infectious disease spreads throughout the global population. Often, pandemics arise from a new strain of influenza. Since the virus is new, the human population is likely to have little, to no, immunity against it.
How do I prevent disease spread?
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for ~ 15 seconds before are after eating, after you have been in a public place, after using the washroom, after coughing or sneezing, after touching commonly touched surfaces
- Stay healthy by eating well, drinking lots of water, getting regular exercise and rest
- Get your annual flu shot
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home from work, school, errands etc. when you are sick to prevent spreading the illness
- Sneeze and cough into your elbow
How to prepare
Add these items to your medicine cabinet, and also your 72 hour kit:
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Medicine for headaches, coughs and fevers
- Anti-diarrheal medication