Preventive Dental Services
Main Page Content
Our Health Unit provides no cost preventive dental services to children and youth 17 years and under who qualify. These services are provided by a Registered Dental Hygienist.
Your child must first be seen at a school screening or a scheduled clinic appointment at the Health Unit.
A screening appointment can be scheduled by contacting our Dental Health Team at 519-258-2146 ext. 1199.
What preventive dental service does the Health Unit provide?
Your child will have an assessment before preventive treatment is provided. Your child may qualify for one or more of the following services:
- Oral Hygiene Instruction
- Your child will be shown how to properly care for their teeth and gums.
- Fluoride Treatment
- A fluoride gel or varnish is applied to your child’s teeth to help prevent tooth decay (cavities).
- A thin plastic coating is applied to the chewing surface of your child’s back teeth to help prevent tooth decay (cavities). The Dental Hygienist will carefully check each tooth before placing sealants.
- Scaling (cleaning)
- Hard plaque (tartar) deposits are removed to treat or prevent gum disease.
Interim stabilization therapy (a temporary filling)
- Silver Diamine Fluride
- An antibiotic liquid used to stop or slow down tooth decay
Your child may need more than one appointment to have all of their preventive treatment completed.