Learning to cook at a young age is one of the most important skills children can learn to help them lead healthy lives!
What is the You’re the Chef (YTC) program?
The YTC is a six-week cooking program for students in grades 4 to 12. It’s a fun way for youth to gain valuable skills and learn how to cook healthy meals and snacks for themselves and their families. YTC can run in schools, community agencies, or camps.
You’re the Chef (YTC) is always looking for dedicated volunteer leaders!
The program is based on a “train the trainer” model through which members of the community can be trained to lead the programs and become volunteer leaders.
You should consider becoming a volunteer leader if you:
- Love cooking and love helping children to learn through food
- Enjoy working with kids in a school setting
- Have a few hours to spare
As a volunteer you will need to:
- Attend a half day training with Registered Dietitians with the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit. Leaders do not require any formal training as cooks or chefs.
- Purchase the food (with funds provided), ensure the needed equipment is available, and teach the students the lesson for the day.
- Collaborate with school principals to determine where and how the program will be conducted.
Our next training session is scheduled for the Fall of 2018. Stay tuned for exact dates and times, and how you can sign up to help children learn valuable life skills!