Main Page Content

Why is the Health Unit asking for vaccine information?

Immunizations or vaccines are the best way to protect yourself and your family against certain preventable diseases. These diseases can make you very ill and can be life threatening.

The Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA) R.S.O. 1990 is a law in Ontario that helps to protect the health of children and our community.

The ISPA requires students attending school in Ontario to be immunized against nine diseases or have a valid exemption on file.

The ISPA also requires the WECHU (Windsor Essex County Health Unit) to review immunization records of all students attending elementary and high schools to ensure that records are up-to-date.

NOTE: It’s up to students, parents and guardians to provide immunization records to their local public health unit. Health care providers are not required to do this.

Have you received a notice about immunization records?

Students with incomplete immunization records are at risk of suspension.

Before a student is suspended from school the following will occur:

  • The parent or student will receive notices through the school requesting updated information.
  • The parent or student will receive a suspension notice mailed to their home. This is a final notice for updated information to be provided before the listed suspension date. 
  • If the student’s record is not up to date by the date of suspension, they will be suspended from school.

My child has been suspended. What do I do?

Once a student is suspended, records can only be updated by :

  • having the doctor or nurse practitioner call or fax proof of immunization to the health unit.
  • bringing the proof of immunization in person to the health unit Monday through Friday  between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.,
    • Windsor: 1005 Ouellette Ave. Windsor, Ontario N9A 4J8
    • Leamington: 33 Princess Street, Leamington, Ontario N8H 5C5

For the student to return to school they must:

  • bring their updated record to the health unit in person to obtain a rescind letter which they take to their school principal to return to school the same day.   
  • Once their records are updated (in person at the health unit or received from their doctor or nurse practitioner) students without a rescind letter can return to school the next day.   

Where can I go to get immunized?

The health unit will provide additional immunization clinics to assist those who do not have or cannot get to their family doctor or nurse practitioner.

  • The Health Unit offers immunization clinics at both the Windsor and Leamington offices by appointment. To book an appointment call 519-258-2146 ext. 1222.
  • These clinics are free and a health card is not required.

What if I choose not to vaccinate my child?

Vaccines are shown to be safe and effective for lowering the risk of getting sick from a variety of diseases. Everyone in Ontario is encouraged to get all the required and recommended vaccines.

Students can be exempted from the ISPA  by providing a valid exemption:

To learn more, contact the health unit at 519-258-2146 ext 1222  or see Immunization requirements for school for more details.