This video series is designed to help you get comfortable in the kitchen, and learn some basic food skills in 5 minutes or less.
We hope that we can inspire you to spend less on take out and more time cooking at home.
You Can Cook Videos
Tools of the Kitchen
Knife Skills Part 1
Knife Skills Part 2
Plant Based Protein
Break Down a Chicken
Sheet Pan Dinner
Spice It Up!
Putting it Together
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 green onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 pita breads
- Place chickpeas, green onions, egg, flour, oregano, cumin, cayenne and salt in a big bowl. Use a fork to mash the ingredients. The mixture will be moist and should hold together when pressed.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add patties and cook until golden and beginning to crisp, about 4-5 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown, 2-4 minutes more.
- Enjoy in a pita, or on a bed of green for a hearty salad.
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tsp (5 ml) instant yeast
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) fine salt
- In a bowl, combine the water, yeast and sugar. Let stand until the mixture foams on top, about 5 minutes.
- In a food processor, it is important to work with the plastic blade or the dough hook. Combine the flour and salt. Increase the speed to medium and add the yeast mixture until a soft ball forms.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and knead for a few minutes on a floured surface to prevent sticking.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean cloth. Let the dough rise for about 30 minutes in warm and draft-free area. Cut the dough in half.
- Use the pizza dough immediately or refrigerate it (less than 48 hours), otherwise place it in an airtight bag and freeze.
- This recipe will make two 23-cm (9-inch) thin-crust pizzas or two 20-cm (8-inch) thicker crust pizzas.
NOTE: This pizza dough recipe is very simple and only takes about 10 minutes to prepare. I make mine in the food processor, but it is not essential. If you don’t have a food processor, make a well in the flour and salt and pour the liquids to the center. Work with your fingers gradually adding dry ingredients to the liquids. What is important is to get a soft dough and to let it rise in a warm place.
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup (heaping) rolled oats
- 2/3 cup milk or non-dairy alternative
- 1 tbsp chia seeds or ground flaxmeal
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 0–2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- Whisk together all ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Spoon into a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Close and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight before eating.
- 2 Cups All Natural Oats
- ⅓ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 Ripe Banana
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 tbsp Butter (melted and cooled)
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a casserole dish generously with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, half the chocolate chips. Stir well and pour into casserole dish. Then, slice the banana & add to top.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, egg, butter, & vanilla. Whisk thoroughly. Pour on top of oatmeal mixture, making sure the all oats are soaked evenly. Top with the rest of the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Top with a bit of yogurt and enjoy.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 4-5 ounce lean steaks (sirloin or round), thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp mild chili powder
- juice of one lime (about 1 and a half tablespoons)
- tortillas, and any toppings you like
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drizzle the olive oil on a large sheet pan.
- Add the sliced onions, sliced bell peppers, and thinly sliced steak to the sheet pan, along with the taco seasoning, paprika, chili powder, and lime juice.
- Using your hands or a pair of tongs, toss everything together well until the meat and veggies are well coated in the seasonings and the oil.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, or until the veggies are becoming soft and the steak has browned on the outside. Be careful of over-cooking the steak (nobody likes dry steak!) - test a piece after 10 minutes to be sure it is cooked to your liking.
- Serve in tortillas and top with the toppings of your choice
- 8 ounces dry pasta*, gluten-free or regular
- 8 ounces grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini, chopped and quartered
- 3 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup pasta sauce of choice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 3 ounces fresh spinach
- Add the uncooked pasta to a large pot (or pan with deep sides). Add the remaining ingredients – except for the spinach – and mix well. Bring the pot to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium low and cook the pasta for 10-14 minutes, until al-dente. Stir the mixture every 2 minutes to prevent anything from sticking to the bottom of the pan. (Note: cooking times will vary based on the type of pasta used. I suggest you start to check for doneness based on the minimum cook time on the package instructions)
- Turn the heat off and fold the spinach into the pasta. Once the spinach has wilted, divide the pasta into serving bowls and top as desired. This recipe is best enjoyed fresh, but leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup full fat yogurt optional
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- ¼ cup red onions chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425° degrees.
- Whisk together the egg, yogurt, half the shredded mozzarella cheese and salt & pepper; set mixture aside.
- Heat olive oil in an oven safe pan or cast iron pan. Add onions and mushrooms cook for 3-5 minutes until the vegetables soften.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the cooked vegetables. Place sliced cherry tomatoes on top and add the remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered in the preheated oven until the center is set, and not jiggly, about 10-15 minutes