Main Page Content

On this page:

Why register your child’s immunization record with the Health Unit?

You will be able to:

  • Ensure your child is protected against vaccine preventable diseases.
  • Comply with the Child Care and Early Years Act, 2014. Subsection 3.4.
  • Comply with the Ontario School Pupils Act Immunization requirements.
  • Have access to a copy of your child’s record if you lose your child’s yellow immunization card.
  • Obtain valid copies of your child’s record for summer camps, post-secondary education, volunteer work, or employment.
  • Get reminders when your child is overdue for immunizations.
  • Prevent exclusion during a vaccine preventable disease outbreak.

Note: Health care providers, including doctors, do not report immunization dates to the Health Unit. It’s your responsibility to provide this information.

If your health care provider has closed their practice, you can get information from the Essex County Medical Society on how to obtain your medical records.

How can you register your child’s immunization record with the Health Unit?

What if I choose not to immunize my child?

  • Under the Immunization of School Pupils Act R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 645, students must be immunized against measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, tetanus, and polio, or have a completed Statement of Medical Exemption, or Conscience or Religious Belief Affidavit on file at the Health Unit.
  • Note: As of July 1st, 2014 the Immunization of School Pupils Act will be updated and students will also need vaccination against meningococcal, pertussis, and varicella disease to attend school.

Conscience or Religious Belief Affidavit:

Contact our Vaccine Preventable Diseases department at 519-258-2146 ext. 1222 for a Conscience or Religious Belief Affidavit package.

The original affidavit form must be:

  • Signed and stamped by a commissioner of oaths, notary public, or justice of the peace. Legal Aid provides notarizing services. Contact them at 519-243-7150  prior to visiting their office to obtain more information on hours and fees.
  • Returned to the Health Unit.

Medical Exemption:

Contact our Vaccine Preventable Diseases department at 519-258-2146 ext. 1222 to request a Medical Exemption package to bring to your health care provider.

If your child cannot be immunized due to medical reasons, speak to your health care provider about completing the Statement of Medical Exemption.

The original exemption form must be:

  • Completed by your health care provider.
  • Returned to the Health Unit.

Young children in group settings, such as daycare or schools, are at a higher risk of becoming infected with vaccine preventable diseases. If you choose not to immunize, be sure you understand the risks and responsibilities involved.

What will happen to my child during an outbreak of a vaccine preventable disease?

  • If your child is properly immunized for the disease identified in the outbreak, your child will be allowed to remain in school or daycare.
  • If your child is not up-to-date for the vaccine identified in the outbreak, the Medical Officer of Health will determine if your child is at risk and may exclude your child for their own protection.
  • Exempted children are at greater risk of getting ill during an outbreak. Most are likely to be excluded from school or daycare.
  • If you have an exemption document on file, you’ll be contacted directly and informed that your child is excluded from school or daycare until further notice.
  • The school and daycare administrators will also be contacted to help enforce the exclusion.
  • If your child is exempted and you choose to have your child immunized, it may take up to two weeks before your child is allowed back at school or daycare.
  • Once the outbreak is over or your child has developed protection through immunization, you and the school or daycare administrator will be notified that your child may return.

How do I request an immunization record from the Health Unit?

  • You may request your child’s immunization record up to the age of 16. due to privacy laws.
  • Due to privacy laws, anyone 16 years of age and older must request their own record.
  • Call our Vaccine Preventable Diseases department at 519-258-2146 ext.1222 to request a record.

Records can be faxed, mailed, or picked up at our Windsor location. Please allow one working day for record preparation.