As you may or may not be aware, a very small part of Windsor-Essex County (WEC) falls within the primary zone (up to 16 kilometres from the nuclear power plant) and all of WEC falls within the secondary zone (between 16 and 80 kilometres from the nuclear power plant) of the Enrico Fermi 2 Nuclear Generating Plant which is located in Monroe, Michigan. The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit in conjunction with our municipal partners, wants to ensure our residents are informed and safe in the highly unlikely case of a nuclear emergency.
What to do in case of nuclear emergency
In the highly unlikely event of a nuclear emergency, you will be promptly notified a number of ways including through the use of sirens, radio, television, Internet, automated telephone call and social media.
What do I do?
- Go inside and turn on your radio or television for instructions.
- Listen to the media reports.
- Follow instructions provided by government officials.
- Follow instructions for sheltering in place, evacuating, and taking Potassium Iodide (KI) pills.
- Go into your home or workplace. If necessary, inform other people to do the same.
- Close all doors and windows.
- Turn off furnaces, air conditioners and any other air intake/exhaust mechanisms.
- Gather your family and your personal emergency 72 hour kit.
- Stay tuned to designated radio stations for further instructions.
- Stay calm.
- Don’t evacuate unless advised to do so.
- Close and lock your windows and doors.
- Follow instructions and routes given by emergency officials.
- Bring your 72 hour kit go bag
In the highly unlikely case of a nuclear emergency, radioactive iodine may be released. Untreated, individuals exposed to high doses of radioactive iodine could develop thyroid cancer several years after the initial exposure. Potassium Iodide (KI) pills can help to prevent the development of thyroid cancer, and are especially effective at safeguarding children's thyroid glands.
Currently, there are Potassium iodide (KI) pills stocked in the community which would be distributed in the case of an emergency. The Windsor-Essex County Health unit is working with the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and other local community partners to pre-distribute KI pills to area residents in the primary zone and make them available to the secondary zone.
Potassium Iodide (KI) Pill Distribution
If you are interested in receiving KI Pills for your home, please visit our KI Pill Distribution page.