Special Event Permit

Event organizers or coordinators of special events held in Windsor-Essex County where foods are prepared, processed, and served to the public are required to notify our Health Inspection Department.

What types of special events require approval from the Health Unit?

Special events include, but are not limited to:

  • Fairs and Festivals  
  • Farmers Markets  
  • Carnivals
  • Special Occasions
  • Petting Zoos
  • Barbecues

Contact us for a complete list. 

When do I apply for a special event?

The special event organizer application and the food vendor applications must be submitted to our Health Inspection Department no later than 30 days before the event.

How do I apply?

If you are an event organizer:

  • Review Food Vendor and Sponsoring Agency Event Organizer Guide
  • Fill out Special Event Organizer Application form

If you are a food vendor:

  • Review Food Vendor and Sponsoring Agency Event Organizer Guide
  • Review Food Vendors Set Up Poster
  • Fill out Food Vendor Application form
  • If you are participating in more than one event, an application form is required for each one.

Applications can be mailed to the Health Unit's Windsor Office, Attention: Health Inspection or faxed to: 519-258-8672. 

The Health Unit offers online and in-class courses for food handlers. To learn more about safe food handling practices, please check the course dates and time.