Issued: Monday, April 3, 2023 | 10:00 a.m. | Windsor-Essex County
As of March 31, 2023, there were 90 elementary school students suspended due to missing vaccinations or not yet submitting their immunization records to the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit (WECHU) - as required by the Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA) R.S.O. 1990.
Once their immunization record is up to date with the WECHU, the child’s suspension order is lifted, and they can return to school. Parents/guardians must do one or more of the following to update the child’s immunization record:
- Submit proof at immune.wechu.org.
- Ask their health care provider to fax the child’s updated immunization records to the WECHU @ 519-258-7288.
- Book an appointment with their health care provider for their child to receive missing vaccines or provide a valid exemption.
- Take their child’s immunization record to the WECHU Windsor or Leamington location.
- Attend a WECHU walk-in clinic. For the most current information on these clinics, visit wechu.org/getimmunized. Children who are ill should stay home and only be immunized when they are well.
Parents/guardians with students who are currently suspended from school due to missing vaccination information, can speak to a public health nurse directly by calling the WECHU at 519-960-0231. Public health nurses help keep our community safe by working with families to get their child’s immunization record up to date.
At this time, most elementary school students have received all their required vaccines and their records with the WECHU are updated. For more information on remaining compliant with the ISPA, visit the Health Unit’s website.