JULY 14, 2022
The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit (WECHU) is a statutory corporation created pursuant to the Health Protection and Promotion Act, R.S.O. 1990, c.H.7 (HPPA). The WECHU is not a registered charity as defined by Section 149 of the Income Tax Act. As such, the WECHU is not eligible for certain funding, fundraising and cost-savings opportunities available to a registered charity.
In 2012, previous Administration explored the WECHU becoming a registered charity, however, the application remained incomplete and registered charity status was no longer pursued.
Over the next three (3) to five (5) years, the WECHU will continue to experience budget constraints as it navigates operations in a post-COVID-19 environment. Adding to this are the financial pressures associated with the Windsor Office Redevelopment Project. As such, the WECHU needs to seek funding, fundraising and other cost-saving opportunities to assist in managing financial pressures. Details regarding the advantages and disadvantages of becoming a registered charity are as follows:
- Ability to apply for property tax rebates for owned or leased premises.
- Ability to attract donations/funding.
- Ability to receive rebates and deductions through participating third party vendors.
- Additional grant opportunities.
- Increased financial reporting responsibilities as the WECHU would be required to file an annual return.
- Ensuring that the WECHU satisfies the disbursement requirements to maintain registered charity status.
Administration has concluded that the advantages of registered charity status out way any disadvantages noted and is therefore recommending that the WECHU move forward with its application.
Whereas, the WECHU is not a registered charity as defined by Section 149 of the Income Tax Act, and
Whereas, registered charity status could result in additional funding, fundraising and cost-savings opportunities to the WECHU, and
Now therefore be it resolved that the Windsor-Essex County Board of Health approve Administration to proceed with the process of investigating and applying for registered charity status for the WECHU.