Safe Food Water & Homes

Select a Service

Select a Service

Select a Service

Boil Water Advisories (BWA)

BWA's are issued when conditions or concerns may adversely affect the quality or safety of your potable water supply. A BWA is put in place to protect you from harmful organisms that may be in your water and can make you and your family sick.

Food Handler Course and Exam

Every year people get sick from eating contaminated food and water.

As a food handler, learning about safe food handling practices can help reduce the number of people getting sick. The Food Handler Course will teach you how to keep food as safe as possible in order to protect your community.

Private Well Water

The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit reminds its residents that if you are drinking water from a private well on your property, you can test your well water for free!

Year-round well water testing is free of charge for private residential use. Water is tested for total coliform and E. coli bacteria.

Requests for Inspection and Inspection Reports

The WECHU also conducts other types of inspections on a request basis. An online form must be completed and submitted to notify a Public Health Inspector of these types of requests.

Small Drinking Water Systems

In accordance with O. Reg. 319/08, operators of Small Drinking Water Systems (SDWS) must notify the Health Unit of the proposed date to resume operation after being closed for more than 60 consecutive days and provide microbiological water test results.

While operators of seasonal SDWS will be familiar with re-opening procedures, operators of SDWS that are normally open year-round may not be familiar with re-opening requirements.