Help reduce your risk by following these tips:
- Follow Canada’s Food Guide and eat 7 to 10 servings of fruits and vegetables each day.
- Be active and follow Canada’s Physical Activity Guide.
- Work towards or maintain a healthy body weight.
- Do not smoke and avoid second hand smoke. See ways to quit for more information on quitting or reducing your tobacco use.
- Limit your alcohol intake.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30.
- Discuss any family history of cancer with your health care provider.
- Ask your healthcare provider about receiving a vaccine that protects against two of many HPV types that cause most cervical cancer.
You can also prevent cancer by getting screened regularly. Use this tool to find out when you should screen for breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer.
Canadian Cancer Society. (2012). What is Cancer. Retrieved from http://www.cancer.ca/en/cancer-information/cancer-101/what-is-cancer/?region=on
Cancer Care Ontario. (2012). Screen for Life.