Promoting Physical Activity in the Workplace
Main Page Content
Distribute credible information on your workplace wellness bulletin boards, by e-mail or on your intranet such as:
- 24-Hour Movement & Activity Guidelines
- Canadian Sedentary Behavior Guidelines
- City of Windsor Parks, Trails, and Recreation Maps
- County Wide Active Transportation Route Maps
- Factsheet on stretching at the workstation from the Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety
- Handbook on exercise at your workstation from the Occupational Health Clinics for Ontario Workers Inc.
- Municipal Activity Guides or local physical activity or recreation programs
- Motivational posters encouraging employees to make active choices (e.g., taking the stairs instead of the elevator)
Host a Lunch & Learn or an education session led by:
Coordinate active events for employees such as:
- Walking breaks or an active break workplace challenge
- The UpnGo.ca Program to help deskbound employees be more active
- Employee sports teams or activity groups
- An employee team for the Big Bike for Heart and Stroke or Ride Don’t Hide (June 23)
- Windsor-Essex County Health Unit’s Online Physical Activity Challenge in April to June
- A Bike to Work event for Bike Month in June
- Employee attendance at the County of Essex’s County Wide Active Transportation System Celebrations Event in June
- Employee noon hour walks for In-Motion Week during the first week of October
Host an archived Healthy at Work webinar from the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit:
Introduce walking meetings.
Invest in showers and change rooms to support physical activity and active transportation.
Provide corporate or reduced rate memberships to onsite, private, or local fitness or recreation facilities.
Have physical activity equipment available to sign out for use during breaks.
Have designated areas available that are safe for physical activity (e.g., basketball courts or greenspace)
Host on-site fitness or yoga classes.
Have safe bicycle storage, such as bicycle racks or bicycle lockers.
Walking Meetings Policy
Physical Activity Policy
Work-Time Allowance for Physical Activity Policy
Gym/Sports Discounts Policy
Active Living Subsidy Policy