Main Page Content

On this page:

Getting help in Windsor and Essex County for alcohol or drug problems.

Are you ready to talk to someone about your alcohol or drug problems? Confused about how to start looking for help? Not sure you want to get help? It’s never too early or too late to talk to someone about alcohol or drug problems. These questions might help you decide if it’s time to talk to someone about getting help.

  1. Have you ever had any problems related to your use of alcohol or other drugs?
  2. Has a relative, friend, doctor, or other health care worker ever been concerned about your drug use or drinking, or suggested that you cut down on the amount you drink?
  3. Have you ever said to someone “I don’t have a problem” (with alcohol or drugs)…but at the same time, you’re wondering if you do have a problem?

If you answered yes to one or more of these questions, you may be ready to talk to someone.

Now that you’re ready, ask for help!

A good place to start is by looking to those you trust.

  • A friend or family member.
  • A community health worker like a social worker, doctor, counsellor, nurse, clergy, pharmacist, nurse practitioner, and other community professional.
  • If you visit the Mission, Street Health, The Salvation Army, or some other assistance agency, ask one of their staff members for help.

Find help for alcohol and drug problems.

Making phone calls can be a good place to start. If you don’t have a phone, ask to use a friend or family member’s phone. The internet can be helpful too. If you don’t have access to a computer ask a friend or family member to help. Also, every library in Windsor and Essex County has computers with internet access for free public use. You may also want to go to an agency that has helped you in the past and talk to someone there.

Be prepared to share personal information.

When a person calls a community health worker for help with an alcohol and drug problem, it’s normal to be asked personal questions. This helps the worker understand you and your needs. If you’re not comfortable sharing personal information, talk to the worker about how you feel and why you’re uncomfortable. Here are some questions you may want to ask the worker:

  • Can you explain to me how my personal information will be kept private?
  • Will my personal information be shared in any way?
  • What will you do with my personal information?
  • Once I talk to you, will I have to talk to anyone else?

Be prepared to be referred.

Sometimes an agency doesn’t offer the kind of help you need and you’ll need a referral. A referral is when a community health worker suggests that you talk to another agency that offers the kind of help you need. Calling different agencies and sharing your personal information with different people can be confusing and aggravating. Those feelings are common but it’s a normal practice for referrals to be made to better suit your specific needs.

You’re ready to make a phone call, now what?

See the list of services in Windsor and Essex County so you can choose the best place to start.

List of Treatment Services

Access County Community Support Services

Phone: 519-733-8983 ext. 25
Toll-Free: 1-877-733-8983 ext. 25
Youth Transitional Support Program
23 Mill Street West, Kingsville ON

Offers one-to-one support, advocacy, and community referrals to youth aged 16 to 24 throughout Essex County. 

Alcoholics Anonymous
Windsor: 519-256-9975
Leamington: 519-999-1234

Open to anyone who wants to do something about his or her drinking problem.

Brentwood Recovery Home
2335 Dougall Ave., Windsor, ON​

Offers residential and non-residential addiction treatment for men and women,16 years of age and older. Programming for those aged 13 to 15 years is non-residential. Call intake at ext. 206 before visiting.​

Can Am Friendship Centre
2929 Howard Ave., Windsor, ON

Assists Aboriginal people with alcohol/drug issues.

Canadian Mental Health Association
1400 Windsor Ave., Windsor, ON

One to One Addictions Support Program
Helps individuals (aged 16 years and older) who have a diagnosis of mental illness and struggle with an addiction to develop a treatment plan.

Concurrent Disorders Family Group.
Call Marty Gregorian at 519-255-9940 ext. 273.

Provides support and education to individuals who have a family member with a concurrent disorder (those with mental illness and substance use).

Sobriety Through Accessing Group Education and Support (S.T.A.G.E.S.) program.
Call Marty Gregorian at 519-255-9940 ext. 273 or Tammy Lewis at 519-255-9940 ext. 323

On-going support for those with concurrent disorders.

R.E.A.C.H. program.

A group to support individuals living with a mental illness and substance use disorder, who are thinking about changing from using to recovering.

Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Rainbow Services (LGBTTTIQ)
Phone: 1-416-535-8501, press 2 (intake and assessment)
Phone: 1-416-535-8501 ext. 37062 (21-day residential treatment program for people living outside the greater Toronto area)
60 White Squirrel Way, 4th Floor, Toronto, ON

Residential and non-residential specialized treatment offered, in Toronto, to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, transsexual, two-spirit, and intersex people, 18 years and older, who are concerned about their use of drugs and alcohol. Services covered by OHIP. No referral required.

Connex Ontario – Free telephone, chat, and email services
Drug and Alcohol Helpline: 1-800-565-8603
Mental Health Helpline: 1-866-531-2600
Ontario Problem Gambling Helpline: 1-888-230-3505

Help is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at Connex Ontario. Connex Ontario provides free, confidential, and anonymous information about drug and alcohol treatment services across Ontario. Connex also has telephone helpline numbers for mental health and gambling problems.

Community Crisis Counselling
519-973-4435 (24 hour, 7 days a week crisis line)
Windsor Regional Hospital - Ouellette Campus, Jeanne Mance Building, 1st floor.
Open Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.  Walk-ins welcome.
Services are covered by OHIP.

After hours: Windsor Regional Hospital, Ouellette Campus, Emergency Department

Crossroads Centre for Personal Empowerment
1980 Ottawa St., Lower Unit, Windsor, ON
Education, support, and counselling.

Employee Assistance Programs (EAP)

EAPs are offered by some workplaces and can help employees and their families with alcohol and drug problems. To learn if your workplace offers an EAP, ask your union representative, health and safety representative, or human resources officer.

Family Services Windsor-Essex Counselling and Advocacy Centre
Toll free: 1-888-933-1831
1770 Langlois Avenue, Windsor, ON

Confidential voluntary short or long-term counselling services to families, individuals, and couples.

Hôtel Dieu Grace Healthcare, Addiction Assessment and Outpatient Service
Tayfour Campus (private entrance on Connaught Street)
1453 Prince Road, Windsor, ON

There are no fees. Services are covered by O.H.I.P.

Assessment and Referral Program
Tayfour Campus (private entrance on Connaught Street)

Designated assessment and referral centre in Windsor-Essex for persons wishing to access treatment for addiction to alcohol and/or drugs. Helps individuals determine appropriate treatment options. 

Free Withdrawal Management Services
Tayfour Campus (private entrance on Connaught Street)

Professional, residential, non-medical services for men and women 16 years of age and older who are intoxicated and in crisis. Individuals have the opportunity to admit themselves into the detoxification unit where they can safely withdraw. Advised to call to ensure bed availability.

Concurrent Disorders Treatment Program
Tayfour Campus (private entrance on Connaught Street)

An outpatient program for persons, aged 16 years of age or older, with a diagnosed mental health disorder and alcohol or chemical abuse/dependence. 

Problem Gambling Services
Tayfour Campus (entrance in the E. Mara Building)

Gambling addiction specific counselling available to individuals experiencing gambling problems, as well as affected family members and friends.

House of Sophrosyne
519-252-2711 intake ext. 115​
1771 Chappell Ave., Windsor, ON​
35 day residential addiction/trauma program for women. New residents arrive on Mondays.

United Way Community Aftercare programs
519-252-2711 ext. 109
Windsor: 1574 Lincoln Rd.
Leamington: 215 Talbot St. E.

Caring Connections Nurturing
Support services for pregnant women or women with children aged newborn to six years old.

Supportive Housing Program
519-252-2711 ext. 107
A concurrent supportive housing program. Eight units available.

Narcotics Anonymous

Open to anyone who wants to do something about his or her drug abuse problem.

New Beginnings – Non-Residential Attendance Centre
Phone: 519-971-0973
1015 highland Ave., Windsor, ON

Offers individual substance abuse counselling.

Provides assessment and treatment for mandated youth justice clients, aged 12 – 20 years and those referred by the WECDSB for substance use, abuse, and dependency.

Salvation Army MAST (Men’s Addiction Support and Treatment Program)
519-253-4225 ext. 230
Windsor Community and Rehabilitation Centre
355 Church Street, Windsor, ON​

Day treatment addiction counselling program. Services are free. No local website available.

Windsor Essex Community Health Centre
Teen Health Centre
1361 Ouellette Ave., Windsor, ON

City and county services available at several locations. Counselling services are free for those aged 12 to 24 years.

Windsor Life Centre
PO Box 31070, Windsor, ON

A Christian-based substance and alcohol recovery and rehabilitation program for women ages 18 years and older.

Medical Addiction Clinics (Methadone and Subxone® Prescriptions)

Erie St. Clair Clinic - Windsor East
1574 Lincoln Rd. Windsor, ON N8Y 2J4
Tel: 519-977-9772
Fax: 519-977-7145

Erie St. Clair Clinic - City Centre
500 Wyandotte Street E. at Glengarry
Windsor, ON N9A 3H9
Tel: 519-254-3300
Fax: 519-254-3305

Erie St. Clair Clinic - Roseville Gardens
2525 Roseville Garden Drive, Suite 100
Windsor, ON N8T 3J8
Tel: 519-988-1020
Fax: 519-944-3247

Erie St. Clair Clinic - Leamington
15 John Street
Leamington ON N8H 1H1
Tel: 519-326-7742
Fax: 519-326-7748

Medical Wellness Centre
60 Park St. W.
Windsor, ON
Tel: 519-254-0008
Fax: 519-254-0009

trueNorth Medical Centre
1078 Goyeau St., Windsor, ON
Tel: 519-915-9219
On-site pharmacy

Ontario Addiction Treatment Services
1101 University Ave., W., Windsor, ON
Tel: 519-252-0991
On-site pharmacy

9917 Tecumseh Road East, Windsor, ON
Tel: 519-735-6500
No on-site pharmacy

Goyeau Street Clinic
1078 Goyeau St., Windsor, ON
Tel: 519-256-1519
On-site pharmacy

Renew Medical Clinic
4 Talbot St., E., Leamington, ON​
Tel: 519-322-4922
On-site pharmacy

Prevention of an Opioid Overdose: Naloxone

Opioid misuse and overdose are critical public health issues in Ontario and across Canada. These increasing trends can affect anyone, including those using prescription opioids medically, as well as people who use these drugs purchased illegally.

If you or someone you care about is using opioids, it is important to have a Naloxone kit. Naloxone can temporarily reverse an opioid overdose. When you receive a naloxone kit, you will be trained on how to use it.

This website is a central resource for opioid overdose and naloxone related materials and information. There is a locator tool on the webpage that directs Ontarians to participating Ontario Naloxone Program sites, correctional facilities and pharmacies in their communities.

Learn where you can get FREE naloxone kits in Windsor-Essex County.


High Schools
519-258-8211 or 1-888-447-4468​

You can talk with a Mental Health and Addiction nurse about alcohol, marijuana, opioids, or other substances. Students can call directly. Also a school, hospital, or community agency can refer. The referral form is available by calling or going on line to the CCAC website.

Post-Secondary School Counselling for Students
University of Windsor

519-253-3000 ext. 4616 – CAW Centre room 293

St. Clair College
519-972-2727 ext. 4226 – Room 206

Translation service for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, or human trafficking

Multicultural Council of Windsor and Essex County

Phone: 519-255-1127


245 Janette Ave. and 7651 Tecumseh Road E., Windsor, ON.

Translation and interpretation services available in more than 50 languages. Professional accredited interpreters are available as a fee for service. However, if the client is a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or human trafficking, the service will be provided free of charge. 

Windsor-Essex Providers of Addiction Treatment and Harm Reduction Subcommittee 2015 Active Members

  • AIDS Committee of Windsor
  • BANA (Bulimia Anorexia Nervosa Association)
  • Brentwood Recovery Home
  • Can Am Friendship Centre
  • Canadian Mental Health Association Windsor Essex-County Branch
  • Correctional Service Canada
  • Crossroads Centre for Personal Empowerment
  • Erie St. Clair Addictions Clinic
  • Erie St. Clair LHIN, CCAC, Mental Health and Addictions Program for Children and Youth
  • Family Services Windsor-Essex Counselling and Advocacy Centre
  • Greater Essex County District School Board
  • Hôtel Dieu Grace Healthcare, Addiction Assessment and Outpatient Service
  • House of Sophrosyne
  • Labourer’s International Union of North America, Local 625
  • Multicultural Council of Windsor and Essex County
  • St. Leonard’s House
  • Salvation Army MAST Program
  • UNIFOR Union, Local 195, 200, 444, and 2458
  • United Way of Windsor-Essex
  • Windsor-Essex County Health Unit
  • Windsor-Essex County Health Centre Teen Health Centre
  • Well-Come Centre
  • Westover Treatment Centre
  • Windsor-Essex Catholic District School Board

The information in this document is current to February 2015.

If a service or program on this brochure is no longer offered or it has changed, please call 519-258-2146 ext. 3213 or email