You are ineligible to apply for a free radon test kit
Main Page Content
Thank you for your interest in our Radon study.
Unfortunately you are not eligible to apply for a free radon test kit with the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit (WECHU).
In order to be eligible to apply for a free radon test kit:
- Agree to the terms of the study on the consent form
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Own the home you are planning to test
- Plan to test a home within Windsor-Essex County
You must not:
- Be planning to test a condominium or apartment
- Be planning to do major renovations to the home within the next 6 months
- Be planning to sell the home within the next 6 months
- Be planning to test a home owned by or lived in by a WECHU employee
Although you are not eligible for a free radon test kit from WECHU, we still recommend that you test your home. You can purchase a Do- It- Yourself radon test kit online or at a local hardware store. Be sure to check the expiry date on the detector before buying and starting the test. Health Canada recommends using a long- term test kit that measures radon levels for at least 3 months during the fall or winter when windows are mostly closed.
There are also Canadian-National Radon Proficiency Program (C-NRPP) Certified professionals in Ontario that can use specialized equipment to measure radon levels in your home. Find one at www.c-nrpp.ca or call 1-855-722-6777.
For more information about radon please visit our Healthy Homes, Radon section.Return to Survey