December 2019 Board Meeting - Q3 Status Report Information Report
This report provides a status summary for all of the 2019 Annual Service Plan program interventions that were in progress in Q3 (July 1st to September 30th).
All active interventions received a status update using the following categories:
- On Target (the intervention is progressing at the planned pace)
- Variance (the intervention is behind the planned pace)
- Complete (the intervention has been completed)
- Deferred (current work on the intervention has been stopped – with potential to continue next year)
- Cancelled (the intervention will no longer occur)
If the intervention was identified as ‘Variance’, ‘Deferred’, or ‘Cancelled’, a reason was provided. In these cases, the most relevant reason was selected from the following list:
- 2019 Labour Disruption (the labour disruption resulted in changes to the intervention)
- Adjusted Program Priorities (program priority alterations resulted in changes to the intervention)
- Human Resource Issue (staffing circumstances resulted in changes to the intervention)
- Partnership Limitations (external partner(s) did not to meet their obligations)
- Public Health Emergency (a significant public health emergency resulted in changes to the intervention)
- Resource Limitation (financial, material, or internal support limitations resulted in changes to the intervention)
It is important to note that reporting reflects a summary of progress made on interventions based on the predetermined milestones for the intervention. This does not necessarily represent the amount or scope of work captured under each program.
Operational Plan Status Summary
Overall Quarterly Status Summary
There were 223 interventions in progress in Q3 2019. Figure 1 displays the percentage of interventions that were on target, reported a variance, were deferred, were cancelled, or were completed. A majority of interventions (64%) were either completed or on target. This is a slight increase from Q2, when 63% of plans were reported as completed or on target.
Of the 223 interventions in progress, 36% (79) were deferred, cancelled, or reported a variance. Figure 2 provides a summary of the reasons for variances, deferrals, or cancellations as a percentage of the total number of variances, deferrals, and cancellations.
Proposed changes to public health operations and the 2019 labour disruption continued to influence the progress of some interventions, though to a lesser degree than in Q2. The most common reason given for deferral, cancellation, or variance was human resource issues (35%), followed by adjusted program priorities (27%), and the 2019 labour disruption (18%). Combined, the labour disruption, program priority adjustments, and human resource issues accounted for 80% of the variances, deferrals, or cancellations of interventions.
In some cases, managers and staff provided comments to further explain the reason for deferral, cancellation, or variance. Examples of human resources issues that affected the status of work plans included expected and unexpected leaves of absence and general staff turnover. When adjusted program priorities were cited, examples provided included the service delivery model change in the Healthy Schools department, changing priorities of partners and partnerships, and a need to focus more staff time than expected on other interventions.
Program Quarterly Status Summary
All interventions are directly tied to programs and program objectives; Figure 3 displays a summary of the status updates for each WECHU program based on the number of interventions that were on target, varied from target, were completed, were deferred, or were cancelled.