News Release: Booking of Third Dose COVID-19 Vaccine for Prioritized Groups Starts Today
Main Page Content
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Wednesday, November 3, 2021 | 3:00 p.m. | Windsor and Essex County
As of 3 p.m. today, prioritized groups will be eligible to book their third dose of an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine in Windsor and Essex County. At this time, third doses will be available for individuals who have received their second dose at least six (6) months ago AND are:
- individuals over the age of 70 years (those born in 1951 or earlier); or
- Health care workers and designated essential caregivers in congregate settings (including long-term care home and retirement home staff and designated caregivers); or
- Indigenous populations; or
- those that live with an individual that identifies as Indigenous; or
- those who received the series of AstraZeneca vaccine or Johnson and Johnson vaccine
- Individuals who received two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine will receive an mRNA COVID-19 vaccine as their third dose. If you received an mRNA as your initial two doses the third dose should be the same vaccine product as the second dose.
Eligible residents can get their third dose at the following locations in Windsor and Essex County:
- The COVID-19 mass vaccination clinic at Devonshire mall. No walk-ins will be accepted at this time for third doses. To book an appointment, go to our online booking system or call the vaccination booking call center at 226-773-2200 for assistance.
- Participating pharmacies throughout Windsor-Essex.
- Participating healthcare providers.
- Pop-up vaccination clinics throughout Windsor and Essex County.
Please do not attend your appointment if you are sick or have been asked to self-isolate.
Individuals looking to receive their first or second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine are able to walk into the mass vaccination clinic at the Devonshire Mall, attend local pop-up clinics, or book an appointment at a participating pharmacy or healthcare provider. When attending a site to receive a vaccine, please bring your health card or other identification document.
Despite the vaccine rollout, please continue to practice public health measures to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community. For comprehensive information about COVID-19 vaccines including facts, myths, FAQs, vaccination statistics, and more, please visit wechu.org. You can also subscribe to receive email updates from the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit to be notified when additional groups become eligible for third doses of the COVID-19 vaccine.