News Release: Appointments Open and Walk-ins Available at Mass Vaccination Sites and Mobile Vaccine Clinics Locations Update
Main Page Content
For Immediate Release
Wednesday, July 21, 2021 | 3:30 p.m. | Windsor and Essex County
Windsor and Essex County have been leaders in the province in the distribution of vaccines since they became widely available in March of this year. Residents of long-term care and retirement homes were vaccinated ahead of other regions, and the first mass vaccination clinics in Ontario for those over the age of 80 became operational at the Windsor Family Credit Union Centre on March 1st. Since the mass distribution of vaccines began, the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit (WECHU) has expanded eligibility rapidly using its own booking system, regularly ahead of the rest of the province. This rapid distribution of vaccine was the key factor in preventing a third wave of COVID-19 transmission in our region.
The progress made to date has been immense and the reduction of cases is a result of the mass vaccination effort, targeted outreach by community partners, and continued adherence to public health measures by the community. However, as vaccination rates plateau the threat of COVID-19 variants increases. In order to support residents to quickly and easily be immunized, all mass vaccination clinics are now accepting same day appointments, as well as walk-in appointments not previously scheduled for anyone over the age of 12. All appointments, including pre-booked, same day, and walk in appointments are available for both first and second doses of either mRNA vaccine (provided eligibility requirements are met).
Additionally, mobile clinics in neighbourhoods with low vaccine coverage for youth have been organized over the next two weeks. These clinics accept walk-ins only and are located in spaces in close proximity to local schools but are open to anyone over the age of 12. The schedule for these clinics is regularly updated at WEVAX.ca, the currently scheduled mobile clinic events include:
Week of July 19th (all clinics are 10 am to 3 pm)
- Thursday, July 22nd - Comber - Centennial Central Public School
- Friday, July 23rd - Windsor - Assumption College Catholic
Week of July 26th (all clinics are 10 am to 3 pm)
- Tuesday, July 27th - Windsor - William G. Davis Public School
- Wednesday, July 28th - Leamington - Queen Elizabeth Public School
- Thursday, July 29th - Windsor - Sainte-Therese French Catholic
- Friday, July 30th - Windsor - Assumption College Catholic
- Saturday, July 31st - Windsor - Frank W. Begley Public School
For more information about COVID-19 vaccine booking and eligibility, please visit http://www.wevax.ca. For comprehensive information about COVID-19 vaccines including facts, myths, FAQs, vaccination statistics, and more, please visit wechu.org. You can also subscribe to receive email updates from the Windsor Essex County Health Unit about COVID-19 vaccines.
- Numerous appointments available for both first and second doses of mRNA COVID-19 vaccine at mass vaccination sites.
- Mass vaccination clinics now accepting walk-in and same day appointments for first and second dose of mRNA COVID-19 vaccine.
- Both mRNA Vaccines are available for first and second doses whether scheduled in advance, same day, or walk-in.
- Mobile Vaccination Clinics organized in partnership with the Community Response and Stabilization Team are accepting walk-ins only (12+) in priority neighbourhoods and are available over the next two weeks.