What are the sun safety guidelines to follow?
Main Page Content
To have fun outside, these sun safety guidelines can help keep you safe.
- Wear light-coloured, loose fitting clothes that cover most of the skin. Consider wearing a hat with a wide-brim to cover the face, head, neck, and ears.
- Wear sunglasses that have UV-protective lenses.
- Wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30. Sunscreen should filter out both UVA and UVB rays. Apply sunscreen to all exposed skin, and be sure to reapply after sweating or swimming.
- Wear lip protection with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Limit time in the sun when the UV Index is 3 or higher. Often, this is between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Seek shade under a dense tree, or bring your own with a large umbrella or pop-up cover (especially if you’re planning on being outdoors for an extended length of time).
- Stay hydrated.