The first goal of any food premises must be to produce the safest food possible. A food premise is any place where you buy food such as restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores, or food vendors at a festival. The Food Handler Course helps you improve your skills in preparing safe foods. The course will also help you to understand the Ontario Ministry of Health Food Safety Standards.
About the Course
The Food Handler Course is offered either as a full day in-class instructor led course or an online computer course. The online course must be completed within 30 days of registration.
Once you pass the exam, you’ll receive:
- Food handler Certificate (valid for five years within Ontario)
- Wallet size Food Handler Certificate
Register for your in-class Food Handler Course as soon as possible to get your first choice of date and location. Class size is limited to 25 students.
What does the course cover?
The course will provide you with an understanding of the following areas:
- Role of Public Health Inspectors and Public Health Legislation
- Foodborne Illness
- Food Microbiology and Allergies
- Temperature Control
- Safe food handling and storage
- Personal Hygiene
- Cleaning and Sanitizing
- Pest Control
- Introduction to HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points)
To learn more about our Food Handler Course and for a list of In-class and Exam dates, visit our Food Handler Certification Course page.