The Baby-Friendly™ Hospital Initiative (BFHI) was initiated by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) in 1991. In Canada the name BFHI was changed to the “Baby Friendly Initiative” (BFI) to reflect the continuum of care for breastfeeding mothers and babies outside the hospital environment. BFI protects, promotes and supports all families. This is our BFI pledge.
WE BELIEVE BREASTFEEDING IS important.
The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit (WECHU) supports, promotes, and protects breastfeeding by implementing the Breastfeeding Committee for Canada’s Baby-Friendly Initiative.
- We welcome and support all families!
- We support families to make informed decisions about feeding their babies.
- We support breastfeeding anytime, anywhere!
- We promote breastfeeding as the normal way of feeding a baby.
- We promote exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months of a baby’s life, and continued breastfeeding for up to two years and beyond.
- We train our staff and work with community agencies to support, promote, and protect breastfeeding in Windsor-Essex County.
To learn more about the Baby-Friendly Initiative, visit:
For more information, please call the Healthy Families Hotline at 519-258-2146, ext. 1350.