What to Expect on Vaccination day
Main Page Content
On the day of your Vaccination Appointment:
- If you are feeling unwell or have any symptoms of COVID-19, do not attend the clinic. Call the booking line at 226-773-2200 to rebook your appointment. Parents/caregivers should also not attend if they have any symptoms of COVID-19.
- Take your regular medication and eat your meals as usual.
- Wear a loose-fitting top or t-shirt so the health care professional can access your arm for the vaccination.
- Wear a face mask at all times.
Bring your Health Card (even if it has expired!). If you do not have a Health Card, bring another form of a government issued-photo ID such as a driver’s license, passport, Status Card or other provincial health cards.
- View available transportation and accessibility supports.
- Youth are encouraged to have a family member drive them to and attend their vaccination appointment.
If you are nervous or stressed about getting the vaccine, bring a book, mobile device, or listen to music to help you keep calm.
COVID-19 Screen and Registration (5-10 minutes)
- Everyone who attends a vaccination site will be greeted and asked the COVID-19 screening questions.
- You will then go to the registration desk and let staff know your appointment time, and show ID for the person who is getting their vaccine. You will be asked some questions to verify your information, or will be asked on behalf of your child, if necessary.
Medical Screening and Vaccination (5-10 minutes)
- The person being vaccinated will be asked some medical history questions and questions about allergies. If you are unsure about something, ask for help. The staff are there to help you and your loved ones.
- Then, the health care professional will give you your vaccine, or your child.
- The person who received the vaccine or their parent/caregiver will receive a proof of vaccination paper to keep safe and take home. Aftercare information will also be given for what to expect after receiving the vaccine.
After Vaccination Monitoring (15-30 minutes)
- You did it! At this point, you will sit in the waiting area for 15 minutes after getting vaccinated. Staff will monitor you to make sure you are feeling well. In some cases, you may be asked to wait 30 minutes for monitoring.
Take a selfie at the exit and head home
- You are now all done and able to go home!